;

That Really
Chaps My Ass!

home | archives | contact

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Bastille Day!
(Albeit three days late.)
 
I usually try to observe Bastille Day in some fashion, such as flying my tricouleur from the flagpole attached to our house.
 
This year I plain forgot.
 
Yeah, France is still not the most popular country in America these days, but I prefer to look past the politcal differences and remember the French family I lived with in my semester abroad in college. Nice people. Great country.
 
It's important to remember that French democracy traces its origins to a violent overthrow of the government. In 1789, France went overnight from medieval monarchy to primative democracy. As such, the French way of changing the status quo seems to be lean toward the combative, always looking back to the revolutionary model.
 
This interview with John Kerry made me chuckle:
 
BROKAW:
Senator Kerry, what about the French? Are they friends? Are they enemies? Or something in-between at this point?

KERRY:
The French are the French.

BROKAW:
Very profound, senator.

KERRY:
Well, trust me, it has a meaning. And I think most people know exactly what I mean.
 

 

Does this blog make me look fat?
Link Me |

Comments: Post a Comment

Links That Won't Cause Itching, Flaking:
Bitchen!
Flowerhead
Kristiv's Weird Existence
Half Mad Spinster
Confessions of an Anglophile
Lilly Wonka
Jeannie's Beans
Swirly Girl

Chapped Facts:
Chapped Ass FAQ
100 Things About Me


WWW Chaps My Ass
Cincinnati Area Weather:
The WeatherPixie
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Fight Spam! Click Here!