;

That Really
Chaps My Ass!

home | archives | contact

Tuesday, November 05, 2002

Bizarroworld
a.k.a., doing a pro-bono advertisement for your mother-in-law


This is too good to not share. It's from an actual discussion I had with my mother-in-law this summer regarding a print advertisement I did for a classical musical performance she produced.

Mother-in-Law:
I want you to send that ad for the paper to Kelly. Her number is xxx-xxxx.

Jeff:
Does she work at the paper?

M-in-Law
No. Uh, I don’t know. Her husband does. Or did. She has something to do with the paper.

There was a guy working at the paper, the editor, I guess, who was a real bastard. He was from Michigan. They fahred him. That paper’s not very good.

Jeff:
(Wondering how that pertains to the topic at hand.) Will Kelly know what to do with the ad when she gets it?

M-in-L:
I guess. Just fax it to her.

Jeff:
Well, I’ll have to call her to get her e-mail address. If I fax it, the quality won’t be very good. Also, have you negotiated a fee for the ad as well as timing and placement in the paper? They’ll want you to sign an insertion order confirming that.

M-in-L:
Uh…

Jeff:
Well, I just want to make sure that’s all taken care of, because I know you had problems with the paper running your ad late last year. What happened with it?

M-in-L:
I drove over there and gave it to them. They didn’t run it on time. I was kinda pissed.

Jeff:
So you dropped off the ad at the front desk? Did you speak with an ad salesperson or sign an insertion order specifying when, where and how often it would run?

M-in-L:
Uh…

Jeff:
All right. I’ll call Kelly and take it from there.

M-in-L:
Yeah. You can fax it to her.

I called Kelly, and it turns out she works for a local, city cable television station and has an office in the same building as the newspaper, but doesn’t actually work for the paper.

My mother-in-law's reasoning is as follows: Sue knows Kelly. Kelly is somehow connected to the paper. Therefore, Kelly can make things happen at the paper. Kind of like thinking, the last jug of Tide I bought had a leaky top. My neighbor works next door to Procter & Gamble. Therefore, my neighbor can walk across the street to the factory during his lunch break and get me a new jug of Tide.

Kelly directed me to the paper’s designer, who gave me specifics on the ad’s requirements (size, resolution, how to send it).

I finished the ad and sent it to the designer. Still fearing that no official documentation existed for the insertion order, I sent my mother-in-law a fax suggesting she call the paper to make sure everything was in order.

M-in-L:
I called the paper. They got the ad.

Jeff:
Great! And they know when to run it?

M-in-L:
Yeah. Mindy's the person to talk to.

Jeff:
Um, I you said I should speak with Kelly.

M-in-L:
Yeah, but Mindy's doin’ the ad.

Jeff:
Who's Mindy?

M-in-L:
She does the ads.

Jeff:
Okay, but why the new contact person now?

M-in-L:
She’s not new. She’s the one who sells the ads.

Jeff:
(Still wondering how Mindy fits in the picture.) Okay.

M-in-L:
You can fax that ad to the other paper, too.

Jeff:
Well, I can’t really fax it. The quality would be terrible.

M-in-L:
I guess you can call them. The big paper down the road might send it to them. They work together.

Jeff:
You mean all three papers have the same publisher and same advertising schedule?

M-in-L:
They work, you know, together.

Jeff:
Oh. I’ll call to make sure everybody has it.

M-in-Law:
You can fax it to them.








Does this blog make me look fat?
Link Me |

Comments: Post a Comment

Links That Won't Cause Itching, Flaking:
Bitchen!
Flowerhead
Kristiv's Weird Existence
Half Mad Spinster
Confessions of an Anglophile
Lilly Wonka
Jeannie's Beans
Swirly Girl

Chapped Facts:
Chapped Ass FAQ
100 Things About Me


WWW Chaps My Ass
Cincinnati Area Weather:
The WeatherPixie
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Fight Spam! Click Here!